- 1 large eggplant
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 small red onion
- 1 loaf of fresh bread
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- Old cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- a pinch of pepper, dried sage, salt,
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375. Cut half of your eggplant into disks and set aside. Chop the other half into small pieces and mix in a bowl with olive oil to coat, salt, pepper and dried sage. Spread onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 min.
- Chop tomatoes, onion, and basil and throw into a bowl with a splash of olive oil. Set aside.
- Cut your bread for the toasts. I chose an organic multigrain loaf for my toasts, which I bought this morning at Earth to Table Bread Bar on Locke St. in Hamilton. Yummmmm. Visit their website!! http://breadbar.ca/
- Take the eggplant out of the oven and turn it, then put it in for another 5 minutes.
- In a frying pan, fry the eggplant disks on medium with some olive oil. For every toast you are making you will need 2 eggplant disks. After they are golden and soft, add the soya sauce and finish frying them for another 2 minutes or so.
- Add cheese to the disks and turn heat to low, covering them to help the cheese melt.At the same time, start toasting your bread. While the cheese is melting, add the roasted eggplant to your bruschetta mix and combine evenly.
- When the toast is ready, it is time to build! Starting with toast on bottom, place 2 melted disks on each slice. Then top with a generous amount of bruschetta.
- I had lots of extra bruschetta mix, so you could easily double or triple to toast and eggplant disk part of the recipe if you are eating with guests.